Read the following two articles and be prepared in class to discuss answers to the following questions.
“Its Time to Stop the ‘Redneck’ Slurs” by Danny Glover
1. What negative term does Glover use to describe the word “redneck”?
2. How, according to Glover, do some writers from other regions use the word “redneck” inappropriately?
3. What kind of bias does the college student’s essay describe?
4. Do you agree that “For whatever reason, it remains perfectly acceptable to insult a large swath of the U.S. population—the common folk who live in ‘flyover country’—as ‘bitter’ or ‘racist’ or ‘redneck’”? Have you ever encountered this kind of bias? Write two or three sentences on your thoughts and feelings about his idea.
"One Man, Many Wives, Big Problems” by Jonathan Rauch
1. What is the main idea of Rauch’s essay? Does he state it explicitly? If so, where?
2. On what grounds does Rauch oppose polygamy? What evidence does he cite to support his position?
3. Is polygamy an “individual choice issue”? Why or why not? How did Rauch’s essay affect your views on this issue?
4. Is marriage an area the government ought to regulate? Why or why not?
5. If true, is it relevant that “no polygamous society has ever been a true liberal democracy”? Why or why not?