With that caveat, you may choose to write a 300- to 500-word essay to replace one quiz grade and one in-class writing grade. The essay will be graded pass/fail and will not hurt your grade unless you plagiarize. A passing grade will be averaged as a 100 in both your quiz and in-class writing averages.
Choose one of the following statements and argue for or against it, with examples and citations:
- The best option for the U.S. in Afghanistan is to cut and run; we need to withdraw our military forces now.
- The tea party movement is a shining example of democracy in action.
- Sarah Palin is a force to be reckoned with in American politics.
- The government's new mammogram recommendations are a good idea.
- The U.S. policy toward nuclear containment in Iran is working as it should.