"One Man, Many Wives, Big Problems” by Jonathan Rauch
1. What is the main idea of Rauch’s essay? Does he state it explicitly? If so, where?
2. On what grounds does Rauch oppose polygamy? What evidence does he cite to support his position?
3. Is polygamy an “individual choice issue”? Why or why not? How did Rauch’s essay affect your views on this issue?
4. Is marriage an area the government ought to regulate? Why or why not?
5. If true, is it relevant that “no polygamous society has ever been a true liberal democracy”? Why or why not?
6. Does Rauch seem to oppose or support “same-sex marriage”?